Follow us on Instagram for more fun ideas for kids!
Scroll all the way down to watch the video below for the step-by-step video in how to create this fun Dinosaur Pointillism Art. Make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more fun videos!
Pointillist paintings are great for young children.
They let the eye do the work of blending and resolving the dots of color into a recognizable form, which is an absolutely fantastic exercise of a child’s symbolic representation.
We’ve seen pointillism projects that involved using things like Q-tips to paint a picture of dots, but wanted to give our 2 year old daughter a way to explore this cool kind of art, like this Dinosaur Pointillism Art.
- Cardstock, Mylar, or other material for stencil
- Cutting machine (alternatives: utility knife, craft hole-punch, drill)
- FREE PRINTABLE template or get them ready made here
1. Download our designs, or make your own if you feel inspired!
2. If you are using a cutting machine, upload the designs into the software and have your machine cut them from whatever material you have chosen. We used cardstock.
3. If you don’t have a cutting machine, one alternative is printing out the design and use a utility knife to cut out the holes, though this may be time consuming.
You could also try taping the printed design to a thin plywood or balsa and use a drill to recreate the design in the wood! If you don’t want to deal with all that, consider getting our pre-cut stencils on our Etsy Shop.
4. Once you have your stencil, tape it down to the paper and start painting!
5. Remove the stencil from the paper. The best part of this activity is—now you have two complimentary pieces of art!
Depending on how graceful your child is with a paint-brush, you may want to choose a more sturdy material than cardstock.
If they are too rough with the brush, they might break through the thin space between the holes.
Again, if you don’t have the tools to recreate the stencils, or the time to try the alternative methods, check out our store on Etsy where we are selling both cardstock stencils and soon reusable Mylar versions of the designs!
Check out the fun tutorial video below for this Dinosaur Pointillism Art!
Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive a small affiliate commission. Regardless, we give our promise that we only recommend products or services we would use personally and believe will add values to our readers.