Follow us on Instagram for more fun ideas for kids!
This pasta flower craft is a cute spring or summer flower art project for kids! Create beautiful blooms with just pasta!
We love super simple flower art projects for kids. This is why we turn to pasta crafts when we need something to occupy the kids and get them happily crafting away! Pasta is inexpensive, versatile and a basic material you can give children to let their imagination turn them into anything! Like pasta rainbows or pasta sculptures!
Watch the video in this post to see our pasta flower craft up close!
How do you make pasta flowers?
This invitation to create pasta flower art is so easy to set up. All you need are various pasta shapes and a canvas, like cardstock or posterboard. We like to separate the pasta into cups so they are easy to organize and find into shapes you are making. Then all you need is to place the pasta on top of your paper or canvas and create flower shapes!
Do you need specific pasta shapes to make this flower craft?
There really isn’t any right or wrong way to do this craft. However, for pasta flowers, we do recommend some spaghetti or linguine (longer strands of pasta) for stems. And shorter pasta like medium shells for leaves as they naturally resemble that shape. We found these adorable dyed bow-tied pasta at a specialty food store which made great pasta butterflies! We also found some fun-shaped dyed pasta we turned into dragonflies!
Can you dye or paint your pasta?
Other than the ones we bought from the market that are naturally food dyed, we did not dye or paint our pasta although you could easily incorporate this additional step to make the flowers stand out artistically. One reason to not paint the pasta is so you can re-use it or boil it later to eat! That is another reason we chose to not glue them down in this case. By not permanently gluing you are also able to create pasta flower canvases over and again!
If you do want to paint your pasta we have a neat trick on how to paint pasta with liquid watercolors!
Pasta Flowers – Materials:
– Pasta of different shapes and sizes
– Blank canvas, posterboard or larget size cardstock
PASTA FLOWER CRAFT
- - Pasta of different shapes and sizes
- - Blank canvas, posterboard or larget size cardstock
- Arrange various pasta shapes by type in cups.
- There is no right or wrong way to make pasta fowers! Use our photos as a visual guide.
- We do recommend medium macaroni shells for leaves - they are the perfect shape!
- We also recommend penne, linguine or spaghetti for stems.
- Butterflies can be made with bowtie pasta and a bit of spaghetti for the body and antennas.
- The dragonflies are created with two penne for the body, medium shell for the head and 4 fun twirly pasta shapes.
- You can choose to dye or paint your pasta for additional art fun!