Follow us on Instagram for more fun ideas for kids!
This shape learning flashlight craft is a fun preschool activity to learn and identify shapes and colors with a magical reveal!
Chances are you’ve seen the super viral videos of these ocean flashlight crafts where a flashlight creates the illusion of illuminating ocean sea creatures drawn and appearing inside a zipper bag. I’m not sure who came up with the original but google “ocean flashlight craft” and you’ll see tons of versions! I was inspired to create a shape learning flashlight craft to make this magical project an educational one.
What does the shape learning flashlight craft teach?
Simply move your “flashlight” over various shapes and have kids call out the shapes e.g. circle, square, oval, star. etc. They can also call out colors too! If your kids are old enough to draw and color, this also makes for a super fun kids art project for them!
How do you make this simple flashlight craft?
What I love about this craft is that you need very simple materials for it such as paper, a zipper bag, markers (make sure they are permanent markers and not water-based so don’t smear on the plastic bag, and our FREE printable flashlight template (download below under the craft instruction card).
What makes this shape learning activity engaging?
Kids especially little ones love a magical reveal or surprise. They will be awed and surprised that when they move the flashlight around the shapes will appear to be lit up! Handing them the flashlight and having them maneuver it also helps build their fine motor skills. They will be proud of calling out colors and shapes and getting them right!
Watch the video below to see this fun shape craft in action. Make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more fun videos!
Shape Craft Materials
– Zipper plastic bag (fits standard size paper)
– Colored permanent markers and black marker
– White and black paper
– FREE flashlight printable (download below in card instruction)
- Take a zip folder and put a white piece of paper in it.
- Hold it with the openable part facing down and draw shapes on it with a black permanent marker.
- Color the shapes with colored permanent markers, draw faces, hands and feet on them.
- When finished, replace the white paper with black.
- Print out the flashlight template and cut it out.
- Color the flashlight and insert into the bag so you can start looking for shapes.