Remember the beautiful rainbow yarn we dyed recently? The kids and I decided to turn it into a pretty hanging photo mobile. This is a fun craft for kids to practice fine motor skills by wrapping yarn. You can use any yarn or string you have on hand and instead of photos, can display your kids’ artwork as well.
Yarn Wrapped Photo Mobile – Materials:
– Yarn or string
– Twigs or small branches (we collected these fallen ones from a nearby park)
– Strong craft glue
– Small photos or artwork
– Small wooden clothespins
1. Decide what patterns you want on your sticks. It’s nice to have each one vary a bit so the yarn isn’t wrapped in the same way.
2. Have your child start wrapping bits of yarn around the stick. For a nice full look, it’s best to have several strands at once go around the stick. Add a dab of glue to finish it off and keep the yarn from unraveling.
Fun, easy and so pretty to look at once they’re done. You can stop here or make a mobile if you’d like (see below).
4. We printed out small 2×3″ photos from our printer using cardstock paper to hang on the mobile. You can also also display your children’s artwork.
5. For the mobile, wrap your twine through each stick in a vertical fashion. Since you are displaying photos or cards, you want to create at least 4 vertical lines to clip on the photos with the clothespins. Add another piece of twine at the top to hang it.
Our mobile is quite large, but of course you can follow these steps and adjust for a smaller mobile depending on the size of your sticks.
We hung this up in the kids’ room and now have a colorful and cheerful reminder of some of our favorite memories!
I love the idea of simply wrapping yarn around sticks and creating something fun out of it. Other ideas I’ve seen are attaching bells and making musical instruments or creating small teepee by tying them up at the top. The possibilities are endless. What are some fun crafts you’ve made with sticks and twigs? Please share!
Take a look here for lots more fun yarn projects.
Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive a small affiliate commission. Regardless, we give our promise that we only recommend products or services we would use personally and believe will add values to our readers.