My kids love decorating cookies, especially during special occasions. I decided to put a twist on it and decorate baked mini donuts instead. This is especially easy using a donut electric maker which we have (or you could use mini donut pans and bake in the oven). Another way to save steps is to use a cake mix for the batter (any flavor will do). Instead of fried, you have baked donuts which taste just as good.
This is a fun Halloween treat that kids as young as toddlers can participate in. We decided to color the batter green to fit in with the spooky theme. Just lay out sprinkles, icing gel and have the kids decorate away!
Halloween Baked Donuts – Ingredients:
1. Cake mix (use any flavor you’d like)
2. Green food coloring (optional)
3. Assorted Halloween colored icing and sprinkles (we decided to go with purple, orange, and green)
4. Baking spray
(preheat your oven to the cake mix’s recommended setting if using donut pans or preheat your donut maker)
1. Prepare the cake mix per instructions on the box. Add green food coloring to the batter and mix well until you get the green color you desire. Spray the donut maker (or donut baking pans to be placed in the oven) before adding the batter.
We baked each batch in the donut maker for about 10 minutes – or check until the tops spring back lightly when touched.
This is how they look like after they are baked. Green donuts!
Inside crumb shot of the green – in retrospect, I would have added more coloring to get it a darker and deeper green.
2. Lay out your sprinkles and icing gels and have the kids decorate away!
The kids loved how colorful their donuts turned out!
The kids had a blast putting their artistic touches on these donuts. You could do this for pretty much any occasion and just switch out the icing colors and sprinkles to fit the your theme.
Do you like to decorate cookies or donuts with your kids?
See here for more cute and simple Halloween treat ideas.
Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive a small affiliate commission. Regardless, we give our promise that we only recommend products or services we would use personally and believe will add values to our readers.