If you have young children, chance are you've been given a necklace or two made out of pom poms, pasta or beads. My daughter loves making necklaces and I've been known to proudly sport a rainbow pasta necklace or two. These DIY clay pendant necklaces though, I'd actually wear on a night out! They remind me of vintage charms and dressed up with necklace chains, become lovely statement pieces of jewelry.
The best part? They're made using oven bake clay. Fun and easy for little hands to help make. If you haven't used oven bake clay before, you have to try it out. My daughter and I have made some fun monogram charms and hair pins with it and it is super fun and easy to use.
1. Gather your materials. Take a small piece of clay and warm it up with your fingers until it is pliable. Apply it to the mold (you don't want it to be super thick or too thin) between 1/8 - 1/4" thick is good.
2. Make as many clay charms as you'd like and lay them out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Make a hole at the top of each charm (a skewer works great).
3. Bake according to the oven bake clay instructions.
4. Allow the charms to cool. Use your paint brush and apply any color paint. To get a vintage, distressed look, you can add a dab of silver or gold paint and smudge over the charm with a paper towel.
5. Once the paint is dry, apply a thin coat of gloss glaze to finish it (this is optional, if you don't have it, not a big deal).
6. If using the jump rings, attach one to each hole on the pendant and thread through a necklace. Or you can make the hole large enough before baking and make sure your necklace will go through it easily.
I really love the swirly designs and the distressed look from mixing paint with the silver and gold. These make beautiful pieces of jewelry both mom and daughter can wear together. The bird is my daughter's favorite. I love the blue/silver medallion.
These clay charms are a wonderful mother and daughter activity and would make a sweet handmade gift for Mother's Day!
Have you ever used oven bake clay before?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________ Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive a small affiliate commission. Regardless, we give our promise that we only recommend products or services we would use personally and believe will add values to our readers.
Like what you see? Get wonderful ideas for kids in our weekly newsletter: